Sometimes we cannot see the forest for all the trees. I'm this way when it comes to travel. In my imagination, traveling to exotic locations, doing great deeds, and having the adventure of a lifetime is the way I should spend my life. So why do I feel that I am not spending my... Continue Reading →
Today, I'll talk about recent events in Charlottesville. We're generally all familiar with some events that happened there about a week or so ago. But the event I'm talking about today is one that happened a few days ago. Specifically, the story I'm addressing is the one about the guy dressed in the confederate uniform... Continue Reading →
I found this today after posting my image on courage. Fits the theme.
Before I was a writer, I was an acrobat. Not the kind that flips through the air–the kind who holds up other smaller, younger acrobats who look better in the same spandex costume. A “base.”
I loved it. I loved being the one who makes sure everyone is ready, calls the move, Hup!, then adjusts while the flyer holds still. Stay straight, tight and trusting. Don’t balance yourself, let me balance you.
I loved that I could lift men bigger than me and women in acrobat class who were also bigger than me and had spent years not letting anyone lift them because they felt “too heavy.” That I could grab someone the right size and move them through a basic routine right away, as long as they did exactly what I said. I got really good at giving directions, verbal cues, nudging with…
View original post 811 more words
Waking up in Camp 4; Even the name sounds kinda pseudo elitist chic. It is a camp for climbers, 'nough said. Not a bad thing really, especially for an observer of people like myself. It is a place of very mellow, yet supremely achieving individuals: athletic, positive, adaptable, carefree - not so unlike myself save... Continue Reading →
Today has been one of those extremely unproductive days where I'm interested in doing everything and nothing all at once. These desires to achieve, and the lack of motivation to proceed on any one thing in particular create a great deal of anxiety. To help pull it all together I thought I'd try to get... Continue Reading →
I don’t often have a clearly defined plan for my photo shoots, which can make me a difficult photographer to work with. Generally I am very spontaneous, experimenting and being inspired in the moment. In this event however, I’d planned to use these seeds. I’d been jogging in my neighborhood trying desperately to come up with a concept for this shoot with Grace Irwin when I ran through a flutter of seedlings, and my subconscious took hold to show me some inspiration. I ran home to get a bag to pick up all of these seeds, and spent about 20 minutes crouching and crawling on the sidewalk in front of someone else’s house gathering as many as I could. (Pretty sure they thought I was a lunatic.)
What I’ve been reminded of this week is that 90 percent of creativity is showing up to do the work; the other 10 percent…
View original post 5 more words
Headlamps blinded me like Gestapo flashlights in the rain. The international backpacker crowd of 20 somethings began to shift like liquid cells under a microscope. A murmur of excitement filled the air as the welders worked their magic, bright orange sparks illuminating deadly white rapids beneath the makeshift crossing. ¨Peligroso,¨ marked a hand-painted sign at... Continue Reading →
I hid behind the tree, my grenade in hand, an attempt at ambush. We three, Renee, the Frenchman and myself had found ourselves a young victim. But was he really a victim, or were we the ones who'd been lured into a trap? The crowd enjoyed its show as we systematically pelted each other with... Continue Reading →
The sun bore down heavy, their bodies motionless upon rubber floats, mouths flung open in drunken slumber. It was late afternoon, and the paleness of their European skin, toasting by the minute, was now pink like a freshly slapped baby's bottom. Straws were bent in empty booze bottles, that rested in little plastic holders. The... Continue Reading →
I reached out my hand as he slapped me with the mystery plant. My hand seized in pain, as if it had been stung a dozen times. "Eeez gud fora sircular, the blood goes thru when it makes it hot," he questioned, smiling. "I...I... I have many times, thee tourists, thee tourists nooo.... I am... Continue Reading →